A commercial oil paint is diluted with bornyl acetate. The latter is used in foods and in preparation of air fresheners. I convert turpentine into bornyl acetate with glacial acetic acid and an Amberlyst ion-exchange resin ( 70 deg. 6-7 hrs). As an organic solvent, turpentine , producing a pungent vapor ,can irritate the skin and eyes, damage the lungs and respiratory system, as well as the central nervous system when inhaled, and cause damage to the renal system when ingested, among other things. Ingestion can cause burning sensations, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, confusion, convulsions, diarrhea, tachycardia, unconsciousness, respiratory failure, and death.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set the legal limit (permissible exposure limit) for turpentine exposure in the workplace as 100 ppm (560 mg/m3) over an 8-hour workday. The same threshold was adopted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) as the recommended exposure limit (REL). At levels of 8000 ppm (4,448 mg/m3), turpentine is immediately dangerous to life and health.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.